Safeguard Your Child From Hand-Foot-and-Mouth Disease
Hand-foot-and-mouth disease is a common viral infection among young children. Many children become infected while they are in child care, where they are in close contact with other children that are potty-training or wearing diapers. The disease occurs most often during the summer months, and although it is highly contagious, there are preventative steps you can take to help lower your child’s risk of infection. Read on to learn common symptoms as well as preventative measures that can help you protect your child.
Symptoms of Hand-Foot-and-Mouth Disease
Keep in mind that every child that contracts hand-foot-and-mouth disease will experience a different combination of symptoms. Below are common symptoms that he/she may express:
- A low-grade fever is typically the first symptom to occur, although it may not always be present.
- Younger children will often complain of a sore throat.
- Almost all will complain of feeling ill.
- Lesions (small, red, blister-like lesions) will appear on the inside of the tongue and cheeks.
- Rash on the bottom of the hands and feet is often present.
- Many children experience a lack of appetite.
Preventing Hand-Foot-and-Mouth Disease
- Encourage your child to frequently wash his/her hands well with soap and warm water, especially after using the restroom and before eating.
- Keep hands away from his/her face, particularly the nose, eyes, and month.
- Toys can harbor germs – teach your child never to put toys or other objects in his/her
- If your child has hand-foot-and-mouth disease, keep him/her at home until the fever breaks. This virus is highly contagious, and going near other children can spread the disease quickly to others.
You can help prevent your child from contracting hand-foot-and-mouth disease with these tips. At Sand Canyon Urgent Care, we provide fast and reliable medical attention for your children. With facilities in Irvine and Laguna Hills, we can help treat your child quickly. We welcome walk-ins and have an expert team of medical professionals ready to help you.